Sunday, August 17, 2008

Baby Steps--Mimi's First Agility Trial

Mimi (Quicksilver Let's Play House) is a three year old smooth fox terrier. When she popped out of her dam and we opened the birth sac, she started screaming. I told my two friends helping me with the whelping that that pup was going to be my pick. I just knew that she was the one.

I started clicker training Mimi and her siblings before their eyes were even open. Mimi is fast and drivey, and over the past couple of months, we have really started working as a team out on the agility course. At class, that is. Not to put too fine a point on it, Mimi finds the places where agility trials are often held (horse barns, etc.) to be pretty damned stimulating. So stimulating that she sort of forgets that we are there to do agility. Zooming around, nose to the ground, is often way more interesting than me or agility.

Her first AKC agility trial was this weekend. I thought it started out okay when the judge who was measuring her thanked me for teaching her a stand. I thanked her for noticing that I took the trouble to do so! But things sort of went downhill from there.

My plan was this: enter the ring with my dog, exit the ring with my dog, and whatever happens in between was bonus. Perhaps it was a bit too simple. My good friend Gosia had flown in from out west just for the occassion of this weekend and she captured all of the fun on film:




While amusing, it was not exactly what I had planned. We had no connection from the beginning, she didn't hold her starts, and she acted as if there weren't any equipment out there at all. Fortunately the arena was relatively clean and although she was running around sniffing a lot, there wasn't much in the way of stuff for her to pick up off the ground. Still, it was a pretty disappointing first day.

Day Two. Gosia and I talked this over endlessly and I realized that I had to get Mimi to do an obstacle or two then grab her before she lost it. I didn't want to reward her for coming to me after she ran around the ring like a crazed thing. I had to make a better connection with her from the start and stop the run while I still had that connection. And I had to find a place on the course early in the course flow where I could call her to me.

So I revised the plan. Walk in with my dog, make her sit on her own (she had to make the choice to focus on me and my request), overhandle the first few obstacles, then call her to me for a come to heel/hand touch, grab her and run out. I worked those come to heel/hand touches heavily outside the ring while we were waiting. I also decided to employ a nuclear option: vienna sausages. Soft, smelly, and she'd never seen them before today. Mimi was quite enthused about the prospect of getting more! Here's what happened:




Success indeed! It was so tempting to say, well, she made it this far so maybe she can do just one more obstacle. But that wasn't the plan. Baby steps, Gosia kept saying. Baby steps. I stuck to the plan and was able to reward the behavior I asked for. Both times I ran out of the ring, grabbed our tug and treat bag from Gosia, and gave Mimi a gigantic jackpot of treats that included lots of vienna sausages.

What did I learn this weekend? I was reminded that sometimes it isn't about the Q or the win (it's really easy to forget this). I learned that while she appears pretty fearless, Mimi needed a boost of confidence--that big open ring is pretty daunting. I learned how to adjust my expectations to give my dog what she needed at that moment.

I was reminded that you must celebrate every moment. You never know when an agility run will be the last you have with your dog.

And I was reminded of how valuable a good friend can be. Thanks for your support this weekend, Gosia! Mimi's first Q ribbon, and I know it won't be long in coming, will be yours!

5 comments:

G said...

This rocks.
And I see you figured out how to use the video feature too.
Everything works great.

Gosia

Anonymous said...

That first one was a Meggie run if I ever saw one! Good job on day two! BTW - second video loaded really fast!

Denise

seniormoments said...

What a terrific little girl! Love the site and videos. Videos loaded with no problems. Color scheme excellent.

Mother

Agile Jack said...

Denise;

Gosia told me she was going to see you in TX. She also told me about Iz. I was so sorry to hear about her passing. My sincere sympathies. It sounds like she really had a rough last year. I'm sure it was a tough decision. It's hard sometimes to do the right thing for our dogs.

Is Mimi a littermate to the sweet little girl Gosia had here for a while... the one in the sweet pink coat??? She was soooo cute.

I'll check your blog regularly, so you better keep it up to date and entertaining. I loved your videos of Mimi running in the trial. Made me laugh, probably because they hit so close to home!

I've got a pup now too... a 15 week old Parson Russell Terrier. Yup, I've done it again!!! Can't have just one... you know how that is. Forrest turned five last spring!!!

I think I recognized Jack in one of your blog photos. You remember how much I always liked him. The photo of the dog's back legs in the air really made me laugh. That's my life too!

I think of you every now and then and wish you were still here making me laugh.

Anne in SLC.

Agile Jack said...

Denise;

Gosia told me she was going to see you in TX. She also told me about Iz. I was so sorry to hear about her passing. My sincere sympathies. It sounds like she really had to endure a lot. I'm sure it was a tough decision, but the right one.

Is Mimi a littermate to the sweet little girl Gosia had here for a while... the one in the sweet pink coat??? She was soooo cute.

I'll check your blog regularly, so you better keep it up to date and entertaining. I loved your videos of Mimi. Made me laugh, probably because they hit so close to home!

I've got a pup now too... a 15 week old Parson Russell Terrier. Yup, I've done it again!!! Can't have just one... you know how that is. Forrest turned five last spring!!!

I think I recognized Jack in one of your blog photos. You remember how much I always liked him. The photo of the dog's back legs in the air really made me laugh. That's my life too!

I think of you every now and then and wish you were still here making me laugh.

Anne in SLC.